Google Classroom for Parents
How Can Parents Access Google Classroom?
Google Classroom does not have a parent view/mode or parent accounts, unlike some other learning management systems. As a parent/guardian, you have two options for gaining access to the work your student does in Google Classroom in CHSD 117:
Option 1: “Over the shoulder”: ask your student to log into Google Classroom on their Chromebook, smartphone, or home computer and show you their work, grades, teacher feedback, and communications in Classroom. We encourage you to use this opportunity to discuss your student’s work with them as you both review it.
: Email summaries from Google Classroom: daily or weekly messages that contain information for your student:
- Missing work: work not turned in when the summary was sent
- Upcoming work: work that’s due today and tomorrow (for daily email summaries) or that’s due in the upcoming week (for weekly email summaries)
- Class activities: announcements, assignments, and questions recently posted by teachers
To get email summaries:
1. Your student's teachers and the CHSD 117 Tech Department will set up Google Classroom to email you an invitation for summary emails to the address we have on record for you. When you receive this email, click Accept. If you are not the guardian of the student listed in the email, click I'm not the guardian.
2. If you do not have a Google account, you will receive weekly email summaries about your student’s activity in Classroom. Email summaries do not contain grades. For grades, ask your student to show you their Google Classroom or log into Infinite Campus.
If you do have a Google account, you can choose when and how often you will receive messages from Classroom. Email summaries do not contain grades. For grades, ask your student to show you their Google Classroom or log into Infinite Campus.
What do parent email summaries look like?
To view or update your email summary settings:
1. At the bottom of any email summary message, click Settings.
2. If you do not have a Google account, you will need to create one in order to change these settings. On the email settings page, click Create new account. Create your Google account and then follow the next steps.
3. To change how often you receive email summaries, under Frequency, choose Weekly, Daily, or No summaries. Daily summaries are sent every afternoon (but not on Saturdays or Sundays), and weekly summaries are sent on Friday afternoons. Timezone should be set to Central Time.
If you have more questions on Classroom email summaries, visit Guardian email summaries FAQ - Classroom Help